Cynthia St. Charles Store

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Beaten Path - Fox Lake

I've been wanting to hike through the Beartooth Mountain range along the East Rosebud (AKA: "Beaten Path") for many years.  In fact, I think it is fair to say it was on my "bucket list" (things I want to do before I kick the bucket).

People willing to join me for this once in a lifetime experience - my dear husband, Joe and my dear daughter, Michelle.  Above, you can see us getting ready to head out from the Chief Joseph Trailhead, located near Cooke City, Montana.  We are preparing to hike 26 miles through the Beartooth Mountain range - coming out at the East Rosebud Trailhead.



 We got a late start on Saturday, and it was nearly 5 PM as we started down the trail.  We passed by Kersey Lake (above) and enjoyed a lot of tasty wild raspberries along the way.  By 7 PM, we reached the turn-off for Fox Lake.  It would be dark by 8 PM, so we decided to camp at Fox Lake.  Below, is our view of Fox Lake as we dropped down the 1/2 mile trail to the lake - the sun was lighting up the hillside to the east of the lake.  We had gone 4 miles our first day.

 It was perfectly clear and warm.  We decided to take a chance and set up our tent without the rain fly.  We were able to enjoy a beautiful campfire at a great campsite.  No rain and we could see the stars from our sleeping bags.
The night seemed mild as we slept snugly in our bags, but I noticed frost on the grass near the lake when I went out to take these pictures at dawn.

No comments: