Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Foot Square #26

This week's foot square begins as a horrible piece of decorator fabric from the 1980's.
I monoprinted  (fingerpainted) it with some brown paint many years ago and never found a good use for it, so it has been languishing in the scrap drawer for years.

 I decided to try giving it some life by coloring some of the spaces with watercolor crayons.
Here's the box, so you can see what I use.




Here it is trimmed to 12" square.   Is this interesting?  I'm not sure, but I don't really feel that every 12" square has to be a success.  Some are going to fail and some are just experiments.  I am not putting myself under any added pressure by expecting all of these in this group of 12" squares to be individually successful.  What I am really going for here, is a body of work that will be interesting displayed as a grouping.  In that context, I think this one is good.  It will be a calmer piece to compliment some of the busier ones!

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I actually like it! I love the fingerpaint look, and find the watercolor crayons intriguing! It just goes to show... today's scrap pile reject could be tomorrow's success!

Anonymous said...

Love your creative edge! Go for it.

Jeannie said...

I agree with Judy! I really like this. I had read about using the crayons on fabric, but had never seen them actually used. I like the look! Think about the things a child loves to do - fingerpainting and coloring!