Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Toy Story Birthday Cake


Grandson Breckin's 2nd Birthday!
He is fond of all the Toy Story Characters.
I thought it would be fun to try decorating his birthday cake in a Toy Story theme. Browsing the toy shelves at Target, I found a package of Dive Sticks on Clearance. I thought these would look cute standing on the cake, however when I opened the package, I found the characters were made of soft plastic and they do not stand up on their own. While washing them, I noticed small holes in the bottom of each figure. I discovered these are the perfect size for a wooden skewer.

I broke the skewers to the correct length - long enough to penetrate the full depth of the cake.
I frosted the cake with white buttercream icing and piped on edges using Wilton leaf green coloring.
Breckin and his parents loved his Toy Story Birthday cake!


Breckin is not eating refined sugars, gluten, or eggs yet, so I made him a special sugar, egg and gluten free applesauce muffin. It was decorated with Mr. Potatohead facial features. This was Breckin's special birthday cake. Party guests were invited to make decorate their own muffins with the Mr. Potatohead features, and the kids who attended were thrilled with the opportunity to play!

No comments: