Friday, March 27, 2015

This Year's Books Read in Mexico

As I mentioned before, our time in Mexico is a real vacation.  No Internet, no TV, no phone, and of course, the language barrier.  We spent a lot of time reading.  This is the stack of books I brought along and I read all the novels plus most of the non-fiction books.  It is amazing to have so much time to just indulge in a series of good books!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Colorful Mexican Pottery!

 We love shopping for colorful glass, pottery and rugs in Mexico (above).  This year, I decided to bring back a variety of small plates (7" diameter) in every pattern I could find.  I found nine different designs, shown here (below), but I purchased a dozen, so there are some duplicates.  I think they will be fun to use for appetizers or for desserts.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tamale Vendors on the Beach

On weekends, the tamale vendors come around on the beach with their wares to sell.  My favorite is the two grannys who come with tamales and burritos, piping hot in a cooler.  Yum!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Sunset at Puerto Penasco

I will try not to bore you with sunset photos......I took a lot of them.  We walked the beach every evening at sunset in order to photograph the drama.  I have hundreds of photos from those walks.  The colors change so quickly at sunset on the beach!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pelican Parade in the Sky

 At sunset, as the tide was starting to go out, the pelicans would begin migrating east to the nearby estuary, where they would find easy fishing. 

Friday, March 20, 2015

Sunset View From the Margarita Deck

My sister's beach house has 4 decks.  The margarita deck is on the roof and the view is spectacular!

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Bougainvillea in Puerto Penasco

Bougainvillea were blooming in many of the yards in Puerto Penasco.  Such a glorious sight for us in late winter!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Puerto Penasco Shrimp

Puerto Penasco is a small fishing village at the top curve of the Sea of Cortez.  One of the main things they fish for is SHRIMP, and they catch them BIG!  We went down to the port market every day to shop for the evening's meal of fresh caught fish or shrimp.  This day, I did not buy the largest shrimp I could find - but these are still very nice.  I sauteed them in butter, olive oil, and garlic.  So yummy!  (note my hand on the left side of the plate for size comparison).

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Beach Walk at Dusk

This is a picture of Joe on our first beach walk of this visit.  We arrived in the afternoon, and after settling in, we went out on the beach at low tide as the sun was setting. 

Monday, March 16, 2015

Foggy Morning in Mexico

As I mentioned last Friday, we are recently returned from an extended visit to Puerto Penasco, Mexico.  This is the first morning view from the deck of my sister's house on the beach.  The Sea of Cortez is hidden from view behind the fog, which didn't stay long - it is rare to see fog like this here.  Joe and I were able to spend 10 glorious, peaceful days there!  More pictures to come!

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Abstract Art Study 2015 - Exercise 11 Monochrome Color

The instruction for Monochrome Color was to mix the colors gently on the canvas (paper in my case).

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Abstract Art Study 2015 - Analogous Color Pink

Here is the next exercise I did for analogous color.  I actually monoprinted this one in the last stages.  Paint was lifted from the page on a small card and pressed back onto the page in another area.  I really like this process and the result....well - I guess I am really much more of a printmaker than a painter....

Friday, March 13, 2015

Mexican Sky

We have recently returned from an extended trip to Arizona and Mexico.  My sister owns a beautiful vacation home on the shores of the Sea of Cortez, just 60 miles south of the Arizona border.  Joe and I were fortunate to be able to spend 10 glorious winter days there, soaking up the sun, sand, sea, and sky.  It is a true vacation, with no Internet, no TV, no phone service, and the natives speak Spanish, so verbal communication is limited.  Here is a picture of the sky on our second day.  I will post some of my favorite photos from the trip here over the next few weeks.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Alternative Energy - vs- Fossil Fuels Journal

The artists were also required to create a journal about their subject and piece.  Here is the cover for my journal.  I made this wrap around cover for my journal.  The top image is the front and this second image is the back of the journal cover. 

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Alternative Energy - vs- Fossil Fuels #2

Here is my small piece made to compliment the much larger piece as part of the SAQA Earth Stories Exhibition.  All the artists have been required to create a smaller piece measuring 12" x 14".

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Alternative Energy - vs- Fossil Fuels Complete

I managed to complete this quilt - 72" square - from start to finish - in just two CRAZY weeks!  But there was more!  I had to make a smaller piece to accompany it (12 x 14") and also a journal to accompany my piece as part of the traveling exhibition. 

Monday, March 9, 2015

Fused, Hand Printed and Quilted Binding

My bindings are fused to the edge of the trimmed quilt.  I usually use fabric to match the quilt and when necessary, I will print the binding after it has been fused in place.  I protect the quilt with masking tape before printing the binding.  After the paint dries, I will peel away the tape and machine quilt the binding to match the quilt.  This makes the bindings pretty nearly invisible, firm, and helps my quilts hang straight. 

Sunday, March 8, 2015