Tuesday, December 31, 2013
No particular plans for New Years Eve for us. Just a quiet evening at home and early to bed. We are hosting an open house here on New Year's Day - the first day of 2014 will be shared with friends and neighbors. Hope you all have a great New Year - see you in 2014!
Monday, December 30, 2013
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Friday, December 27, 2013
One of the first things I decide to do is add some darker shades of green to the edges so the lighter colors are just in the center rather than going all the way across in a horizontal/diagonal line. Here are a few of my auditions before I settled on a plan for adding more fabric.
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Here is my next challenge. It is a very muted pale yellow - green to bronze collage of hand dyed cotton. The size is about 34 x 50. Below is a detail showing how I have stitched the raw edged fabric pieces together using a free motion zig zag stitch. In doing this stitching, I have included the batting and backing fabrics so it is essentially already basted together in layers. I don't have to worry about anything other than getting the printing imagery and quilting right.
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
I also collect his vases and bowls - oh - and teapots!
Merry Christmas to me! A gift I can enjoy for many years to come.
Monday, December 23, 2013
I did a little research and placed some book orders online, buying as many used books as I could, although some of these are new. I get so frustrated with what is available in the local stores and it is overwhelming making choices. These books all have really good reviews. I have already read "The Goldfinch" and am looking forward to my next book!
Sunday, December 22, 2013
I am so happy with the way this turned out that I am going to use the same theme to tackle the rest of the unfinished fabric collages I have laying around the studio (there are four I can see right now). I will use my grandmothers' recipes as the foundation printing as I build up the collage surface. I plan to continue developing my skill with abstract imagery (a big challenge) through this process.
Here is what I started with:
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Friday, December 20, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Monday, December 16, 2013
Sunday, December 15, 2013
Saturday, December 14, 2013
I colored in about half of the horizontal strip and put it back up on the design wall.
Now, I am starting to think I am just going to have to cover that strip with more collage like the rest of the quilt, so I have placed several pieces of printed fabric on the right side of the strip for comparison.
Friday, December 13, 2013
One of my ideas for bringing out the horizontal strip is using some fabric pens to bring them out. Below, I have fused a little scrap of paper lamination onto another scrap of hand dyed fabric to experiment with these metallic fabric pens.
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Hmmm......I am still on the fence with the horizontal piece of paper lamination. It doesn't have enough contrast, nor does it blend in very well. The quilting did not have the impact I hoped for.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
I was bothered by the light area in the upper right corner and have fused some hand dyed raw silk in place, which I feel balances the color better.
I printed this area (upper right) again, so it blends better. I am satisfied with this piece at this point - but will wait a few days before proceeding with the quilting. I will want to do something to emphasize that horizontal element. I feel like some dark heavy stitching there will be important. I am also thinking about adding more text in that area - perhaps I will write some things myself rather than doing more screen printing. Going to let things gel for a while, though. I am not really sure about the whitish horizontal element. It sort of bothers me and I may end up just ripping it off before I do the quilting. Stay tuned!
Monday, December 9, 2013
Sunday, December 8, 2013
I feel like this arrangement of the paper laminate is more successful, but then I realize the recipes are all upside down, so I have to flip it (below). That puts a large distracting light area in the upper right corner. I try auditioning some darker sheer silk pieces over the light areas to balance things out.
Saturday, December 7, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Here is the collage now, with the text printed over the entire surface. I am happy with this.
I've decided to use the Thermofax screen that was used for the paper lamination on the collage.
This screen was converted from a deconstructed screen print that I thought was interesting.