Thursday, December 26, 2013

Bronze / Green Collage Challenge


 Earlier this month, I showed my process for finishing up a fabric collage I started two years ago.  I added layers of printing and overprinting, then quilted it to bring it to closure.  I have a number of these unfinished fabric collages laying around the studio and I would love to get them finished.  I have decided I will use them to try developing my skills with abstract imagery.  I have also decided to use printing / surface design and the printing will include handwritten screen prints of recipes written by my grandmothers.

Here is my next challenge.  It is a very muted  pale yellow - green to bronze collage of hand dyed cotton.  The size is about 34 x 50.  Below is a detail showing how I have stitched the raw edged fabric pieces together using a free motion zig zag stitch.  In doing this stitching, I have included the batting and backing fabrics so it is essentially already basted together in layers.  I don't have to worry about anything other than getting the printing imagery and quilting right.



No comments: