Saturday, March 30, 2013
Thursday, March 28, 2013
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Saturday, March 23, 2013
I am encouraged by the success of my small piece - Red Planets. This gives me the confidence to try.
Here are several pieces I have cut into 13" squares - aiming for a finished size of 12" square after quilting and binding.
Friday, March 22, 2013
I've finished binding "Red Planets". It measures 14 x 25"
I am very satisfied with this use of the deconstructed screen printed fabric. The unusual patterning creates striking visual interest, but doesn't overwhelm. I would like to further explore this approach to using my vast collection of deconstructed screen prints. I am not sure whether this is successful because of the color - or if the results could be replicated in another color scheme.
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
I just had to share a few more pictures from the Orchid Show at the Denver Botanical Gardens.
We visited in February.
Monday, March 18, 2013
Here is "Red Planets" (decided that's what I want to call it) - the quilting is done, but now it needs to be trimmed and bound. I think I like this orientation best. I am pondering possibilities for the binding. I have so many different ways of doing a binding now......hmmmm I really want to do the best thing and am taking into account the gray gradually darkens towards the bottom on the left side and the fact that I have used raw silk for part of the background.
Sunday, March 17, 2013
Saturday, March 16, 2013
Friday, March 15, 2013
Thursday, March 14, 2013
I am not sure what made me decide to cut it all up into circles, but I did it one day and then put them aside. When I unburied them during a studio purge - I auditioned them with some hand painted gray leftover from my Evening Walk series. I thought this showed promise, so I continued on with it.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Here it is! The first page of my article in the March/April issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited!
It is available now in Barnes and Noble, Amazon, JoAnn Fabrics and online at the Machine Quilting Unlimited website. I am very pleased with the layout! They gave me six full pages and the quilts look awesome!
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Monday, March 11, 2013
Sunday, March 10, 2013
I screenprinted the cottonwood trees on the binding after it was in place.
Masking tape protects the quilt from any ink that might extend beyone the binding.
Once the ink is dry, I remove the tape. I am pleased that I have been successful in positioning the screen so the print of the trees continues naturally into the binding. Next, I will machine quilt the binding to make it blend in with the quilt even more!
Here is a picture of the quilted binding.
Saturday, March 9, 2013
I purchase Mistyfuse on a roll from the Mistyfuse Website, and I have covered my worktable with teflon. This makes it easy to apply the fusible to the fabric. I am using fabric leftover from Reflections - which is a wholecloth quilt of hand dyed fabric.
I cut the binding fabric into 1 1/4" strips (you could use any size, but this is what I like). I lap the binding about 1/2" over the top edge of the quilt, then fuse it in place.