Cynthia St. Charles Store

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Deconstructed 12" Squares

 I've decided to work with my deconstructed screen print fabric again - I want to try to develop a series with this fabric, and I am finding it remarkably challenging - because the prints are so strong......  I feel like maybe I can experiment with the 12" square format to troubleshoot.  Using the small size reduces the anxiety over using up my precious one of a kind fabric.  Unlike hand painted or hand dyed, block printed or screen printed fabrics which I could easily reproduce - I feel like the deconstructed screen printed fabric cannot be replicated.  The fact that this fabric is one of a kind makes it difficult to build a series.  I am reluctant to cut it up, but I am going to give it a shot.

I am encouraged by the success of my small piece - Red Planets.  This gives me the confidence to try.

Here are several pieces I have cut into 13" squares - aiming for a finished size of 12" square after quilting and binding.

The top two pieces are whole cloth, but this bottom one has a strip of deconstructed fabric pieced in.

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

This will be another interesting path to watch you take! Can't wait to see the new creations.