Cynthia St. Charles Store

Monday, June 23, 2008

Gelatin, Tyvek and Discharge


Oh, and screen printing, too.More messing around in the studio. Yesterday was my last day for a while. House guests coming today and tomorrow is my day to work in the gallery.
A few days ago, I made a couple of gelatin prints on black Kona using Lumiere metallic paint and leaves from the snowball bush.

I decided to try adding a couple of screen printed chickadees, but they almost disappear on the black background. (and I really can't decide whether that is a good thing or not)

Then, I decided to try adding a couple of Tyvek leaves - painted in metallics. Not sure they really enhanced the design, but they do add visual interest.


The whole thing is mounted on a piece of discharged cotton that has been languishing in a drawer for several years. All the stitching has been done with a copper Supertwist.

I really like working with these muted shades, but I have discovered it is something I can do more comfortably in summer when the colors outside are vivid and rich. In winter - I find myself craving color so much that all my work tends toward over the top brightness.

And this piece is actually a bit too mushy for me - I find it takes my eyes a couple of seconds to find the details. How about you? My imagery generally tends to be much more distinguished by contrast. This has been a good exercise for me. Big stretch. I am contemplating adding another leaf near the center - well - kind of south and west of the one in the center. . . something to decide later. I am going to set it aside for a while.

1 comment:

Rice said...

I really like this piece. I love that the birds don't jump right out at you. It's something to draw you in and make you look a little longer. : )