Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Fabric Art Book



For some time now, I've thought I might enjoy making a fabric art book. These seem to appear in Quilting Arts and Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazines regularly, so I have had a chance to see pictures of them before.

Brooke is in charge of table decorations for Big Sky Quilt Retreat and she wants 3D textile art for centerpieces. She was challenging us to make something with a bottle. Her bottle/textile art is fabulous. Every time I tried to think about what I could make with a bottle - the only image I could conjure was Brooke's lovely art.

So, I gave up the bottle idea and decided to try for a book. I reasoned that if I could make fabric postcards - a book would be just like making several fabric postcards and putting them together. For inspiration - I chose a quote from my dictionary of quotations - this, by Byron - about nature:

There is pleasure in the pathless woods
There is rapture in the lonely shore
There is society, where none intrudes
By the deep Sea
and Music in its roar
I love not Man the less
but Nature more.

I think this went fine for a first attempt, but I don't think that book making will be my new vocation!

No comments: