Cynthia St. Charles Store

Monday, October 13, 2008

Speaking of Trees . . .


While the trees outside our house are falling down under the weight of an autumn snowstorm, I find myself cozy in my studio building a few new trees of my own!

I hand stamped the background fabric last winter, but a lack of suitable bark fabric caused me to set the project aside. Last week, while the temperatures were in the 80's, I spent a lot of time out in the shop painting large pieces of fabric.

The bark fabric turned out perfect!


It was spatter painted with very dilute Setacolor transparent and opaque paints, then printed with one of my hand cut rubber stamps.

The next step is to screen print the birds in place on the branches.
I am in a bit of a dilemma - debating about whether to print chickadees or blackbirds. Since I've already done one with chickadees, I am leaning toward the blackbirds.
A second dilemma is what season? My original designs were for winter. This is the third in a series and the first two depicted birds in winter. I am contemplating making this one a fall piece by adding some Tyvek leaves. . . stay tuned.

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I just had to stop on my run through the blogs this morning. This took my breath away. I just love tree imagery.

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Yep me too. Was just looking around at blogs whilst I had a few moments to spare, and found these fab trees. I love the colours.