Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tactile Architecture -

It Takes A VillageI finished this piece during a period of family stress when my daughter and infant grandson lived with us. At that time, I was living the African proverb:
"It takes a village to raise a child". I was very involved in caring for Airus while Elizabeth, as single mother, completed her studies and established her massage therapy practice.

I had a lot of difficulty executing my idea of painting on fabric between the resist lines, which had been done using Elmers blue glue gel. My paints ran and I seriously considered tossing this piece in the trash. Instead, I decided to continue to work with it as an experimental piece, completing it back in March 2007.

I entered it in the Tactile Architecture show that premiers at the 2008 International Quilt Festival in Houston. It was accepted, and has even been featured in several advertisements and the catalog for the International Quilt Festival. I am glad I didn't toss it, and also appreciate the many people who offered suggestions in troubleshooting the quilting, etc.

The success of this piece inspired me to do more pieces in a similar technique, style, and process. This past summer -while the weather was warm, I painted about a dozen different scenes and now they are awaiting the next step in the process. This winter, I will get them quilted and hopefully ready to enter someplace or other!

No comments: