Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Glue Gel Resist


Structures I - Study

This is a small study I did for a much larger piece I will be working on today. The process involves first painting the lines on white cotton using Elmers Glue Gel. I've tried both the new clear product and the white washable, but the blue gel is the best. The others are too runny and don't hold a good resist line.

I painted the background in a watercolor style, first wetting the resisted fabric, then painting large color blocks of diluted Pebeo Setacolor Transparent Paint.

Next, I filled in with block prints from stamps I've cut myself from plumbers rubber gasket material. After the paint is set, I gently remove the resist lines by soaking in warm water followed by a long wash cycle with plenty of water and a little soap. Line dry.

Then it is ready to layer and quilt.

1 comment:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

This is so pretty! Love the colors. Thanks for explaining your process.