Cynthia St. Charles Store

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fossil Series - Making Molds

I searched online for interesting fossil specimens to attach to the quilts in this new series.
I was a bit overwhelmed by the price of nice specimens, so I decided to try using the fossils I already have in my collection to create molds so I could make my own embellishments of polymer clay.


I've never done this before, but I did find this mold making clay at Hobby Lobby. I dusted the fossils with corn starch before pressing them into the "Mold Maker" (a Sculpey product).
The molds are baked in the oven for 20 minutes and they come out flexible yet firm.

When molding with polymer clay, I dusted the mold first with these Pearl Ex pigments, which created a nice sheen on the molded pieces, but also helped them release nicely. I'll show my results tomorrow!

No comments: