Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stitching Metal


I recently added the finishing touches to a quilt I started about 2 years ago. It needed something more. I knew it needed more texture, depth, or shimmer. I did not want to add more paint or foil.

I decided to try working with some metal sheets I had purchased last winter. I used a rubbing plate to create the texture on aluminum and copper sheets. Then, I heated the copper with a heat gun to change the color. I followed this with some paint that was rubbed on and sponged partially off. I used fluid acrylics.

I cut "doors" and "windows" from this embossed and colored copper and aluminum. These were then machine stitched in place.
I am excited about working with this material. I think I would like to explore it further and am on the brink of ordering a quantity for further experimentation.