Cynthia St. Charles Store

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Beet Trial


As I mentioned in a previous post, I am contemplating the quilting for two larger beet gelatin print pieces. I was considering doing the stitching with black thread, which would be a departure from the norm, for me. I often work out my questions for larger pieces by making a smaller one. In this case - I have added a border to a single gelatin print of beets.

I really like the delicate details brought out in a gelatin print - I mean, that's the point - right?
So here goes:


I really like the way the black thread emphasizes the beets. I am less enthusiastic about the way the black thread looks on the leaves - as I feared - some of the delicate details are lost. At the same time, the leaf area looks less blurred and mushy. Hmmmmm. Now thinking about the quilting for the border. It must not detract.

All feedback welcome!

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I LOVE the details with black thread! Can't wait to see the larger piece! As for the border, I would probably do something very simple and slightly curved, to maintain the organic look of the beet print...

Meg in Tennessee said...

I really like the black thread on the leaves, that was the first thing I noticed, before the quilting, I thought the beets were interesting, mostly for the color, after...wow. Very inspirational.

knutty knitter said...

I do like the beets but see what you mean about the leaves. Perhaps a slightly lighter colour would do it.

How about a border which draws the eye to the inside like the edge of a perspective line drawing. That would increase the focus on the beets instead of making the eye go round the edge :)

viv in nz