Here is my little experimental piece after I have played around with it a bit. I pieced the four fused zinc/polyester squares together, then I machine quilted the area between the metal. I also tried stitching on the metal. The thread broke. I am not so sure the metal needs to be stitched, anyway. I used markers to color in some of the cells, adding nuclei and such - more color. All the while, I am formulating a plan for the next experimentation!
I need to be thinking about things like bindings and sleeves, and shipping, hanging, - as well as the visual impact and the artistic message and keeping it in my own voice. This is very challenging!