I started this piece about 6 months ago by printing a lot of fabrics and adding fusible web to them for a collage construction. The fabric strips have been shoved into a pile in my studio for all those months just waiting for me to return to the process. My previous attempts did not come together well, but I had a sudden inspiration to try working with a foundation of black fabric. (I think I was working on a foundation of batting, previously). This created the visual negative space that allowed me to proceed. I reasoned that if I had some empty black space - that was fine. I would not have to add anything or feel obligated to fill up the entire surface. So, I began by placing seven strips cut from a failed quilt. These are already layered and quilted, creating a bit more dimension, but I am going to go with it.
Next, I pulled out my bag of leftover binding strips. These already have fusible web attached to them and I can just sort through and pull out what I want.