Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Arashi Shibori Kimonos


Occasionally, I turn my creative attention to wearables, which I offer for sale. I have an order from Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven, Connecticut due next month - for their holiday showcase.

I have gone to a system of first constructing the kimono from natural silk fabric, following up with the surface design process of choice. I've done a variety of different techniques, but this is the first time I wrapped an entire garment around a pole for arashi shibori.

These particular kimonos are constructed of soft organza with charmeuse bands. I was concerned that the dye might not penetrate all the layers, but it was actually quite successful, and I do think I will do more with this technique.

1 comment:

Margarita Korioth said...

These kimonos are gorgeous,absolutely beautiful.
Congrats for your new studio; must be a joy to work there.

a warm hug from the tropics
Marga