Cynthia St. Charles Store

Monday, January 28, 2013

New Printing Blocks

  I wanted to make some new, larger printing blocks for this piece.  I am still thinking about Van Gogh's Starry Night as I carve these two blocks (actually two designs - one on each side of the same block).  It is about 5 x 7".

Roberta asked what I use for my block printing material.  I like Innovart Eco Printing Block material, which is available from Dick Blick.  Here is the link to the page for the printing block material I use.  It is affordable, 100% recycled, and holds up well to a lot of use.

I now have six different blocks with Starry Night swirls.  I think it is more interesting with the mix of sizes.
I have used two different colors of blue Setacolor Transparent paints for the printing;  Ultramarine Blue and Cobalt.  I like the way the yellow screen printing peeks through and kind of twinkles.
I want to use a different block and different color for the bottom third of this piece. 

8 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

I love the design you carved. Is that done with linoleum or some other material?

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow! Having several swirl blocks really adds to the visual interest! Great idea, and I love how the yellow highlights the swirls.

Cynthia St Charles said...

I use Inovart printing block material. It is latex free and 100% recycled material. I like it because it is easy to carve, but holds up well to a lot of use, etc. It is available from Dick Blick:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/inovart-eco-karve-printing-plates/?clickTracking=true

imquilternity said...

I still wish you would consider selling some of your carved blocks/stamps. They are absolutely wonderful and add such interest to your work. How long does it take, from start to finish, to make a quilt like this?

Cynthia St Charles said...

I don't really know how long it takes to make a piece - it varies according to size and details - and sometimes an idea takes extra time to develop. Trouble shooting takes some time too. I get a couple done per month when I am able to get into the studio regularly. I will look into selling printing blocks. I do not have extra material on hand to do that at this point and I am not sure it would be cost effective, but if it is, I could probably sell through the blog with Paypal.

Roberta Warshaw said...

Thank you Cynthia. I will look at getting some and trying it out!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Geez, and all along I've been questioning that bright yellow band in the middle of your piece. I should know better - what a great effect now that you've add the stamping.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oops, not bright yellow - was looking at the yellow writing - but the really light band.