The Kennecott Mines National Historic Landmark is operated by the National Park Service. Very rich copper deposits were found here in 1900. They had huge challenges to get the copper transported, though. Ultimately, a railroad was built and the first train out in 1911 carried $250,000 worth of copper.
At the height of operation, about 550 men worked in the mines and mill town. Over the next 27 years, at least $200 million worth of ore was produced.
There are three spellings for Kennicott - also spelled Kennecott and Kennycott. Apparently, the current decision is to refer to the town and mill as Kennecott, while the river and glacier are referred to as Kennicott.