Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Into the Woods

Into the Woods
I have been messing around with these two versions the entire week, off and on.
I started out with a really nice golden piece of hand dyed cotton and a similar color of hand dyed cheesecloth.I hoped I could stamp a background that would read woodlands, but I wasn't thrilled with my results, so I overpainted, changing the color completely (and also dulling/muting it quite a bit).
Then, to make the tree bark appear as I wanted, I overpainted and scrunched the cheesecloth so that it dried with stripes.
I have fused these tree trunks to the background fabric, so I am stuck with what you see here.
I didn't want to spend too much more time overthinking it. I felt like I had already done plenty with all my layers of stamping and overpainting.

Now to decide whether either of these is worthy of the time investment for quilting.

I am contemplating hand quilting with embroidery thread, perhaps . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, it may not be what you were looking for but it is very interesting and colorful. The first version looked more oceanic than forest-like. The second looks more like tree trunks. In my opinion, of course, as everything is subjective.

A trick an artist friend of mine taught me is, when I am not feeling great about my work, is to turn it upside down and look at it from other angles. Maybe it is meant to be something else. Or put it away and come back later, then decide what to do with it.