Cynthia St. Charles Store

Friday, January 2, 2009

Salvaged Threads - Fly Free


It has been an eventful day for me. A big change - upsetting, but not necessarily all bad. I am not really ready to talk about it, but suffice it to say that I am now relieved of a big obligation that was taking over my life in ways that I wasn't ready for.

Very liberating (maybe I will be able to sleep now) and I was able to begin working it through with this piece, which I will enter in the Salvaged Threads challenge. The salvaged fabric for this piece is an old green place mat that I bought at a garage sale for my daughter. She didn't want it, so I got it back and stashed it in the studio. Earlier this week, I painted it with swirls of yellow and red. Then, today, I hand printed it with a rubber stamp I cut by hand.

The butterfly image is a Thermofax screen I created using a photo I took during the Llama Beartooth Trek.
I had printed it onto a scrap from some fabric I printed using a deconstructed screen printing technique.

No comments: