Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cleaning Vintage Lace


Last summer, Joe picked up a box of vintage lace at a garage sale for $5.
Most of the lace had been carefully wound around cardboard rolls with the ends stitched down.
I put the box away with the intention of cleaning it sometime during the winter. I knew it would be a big project.

My research led me to Orvis WA Paste for cleaning.
I happen to have a big tub of the stuff - this is what I use for washout after dyeing silk.
It is sold at farm supply stores because it is primarily used for washing animals - horses and such.

I spent several hours removing the stitches and unwinding the rolls.
Then, I soaked the lace in a tub of cool water with 2 T of Orvis Paste dissolved. I soaked at least 4 hours and then rinsed by soaking for about another 4 hours - changing the water about 3 times.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! We will be moving housein 2 weeks (again - the last of the 30yo babies and their babies have finally gone!) and I have a garage full of MIL stuff. Wool by the trailer load, fabric by the bolt and lace by the big, big roll! Now I know what to do with the lace!

Humm doesn't help with the wool and the bolts of fabric - 1970's curtain stuff!

hugz

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

How beautiful! Will you be using the lace in some of your quilts?

Jeannie said...

Gorgeous laces. Judy asked my question! The must have been treasured by the owner to take such good care of them. Have fun.