Cynthia St. Charles Store

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Puerto Penasco - Shrimp Gumbo!


During our week in Puerto Penasco, we ate "in" each evening. We went to the fish market each day to select our shrimp and/or fish for dinner. To keep things interesting, we tried a variety of ways of fixing it.

I did most of the cooking. My choice. I have a lot of food allergies and if I am cooking, I know I can eat it.

The picture above is the Gumbo I made using fresh peppers, tomato, parsley, bay leaf and onions from the market. I made a traditional southern style roux - by browning the flour in oil until dark as a copper penny. Since I don't eat wheat (and neither does sister Shirley), I tried using corn flour. It worked perfectly!

After the base of roux and vegetables had simmered all day, I added the fish and shrimp at the last minute - until cooked through. Then served over rice and garnished with cilantro. The fish in this dish were the ones we caught on our fishing trip! Yum!

No comments: