Cynthia St. Charles Store

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Red Summer


This past summer, my 22 year old daughter, Michelle was invited to join a all female crew on a fishing boat in Alaska's Bristol Bay. The fishing season is brief - lasting only as long as the Sockeye Salmon are running, but the work is extremely physical and demanding.

Michelle suggested I read the book, but she wanted me to wait until after she was done and safely back in civilization. I ordered the book through Amazon and took it along for the plane ride between Montana and Arizona. It was the perfect book for the trip. I was able to finish it on the return flight!

Red Summer is no literary gem, but it does provide a good overview of the process of net fishing for salmon. It helped me understand exactly what it was Michelle was doing during the 6 weeks that she was out of contact.

No comments: