Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ponderosa Pine Dyed Fabric


The RESULTS are IN!
Above, you can see the pine dyed fabrics flapping in the breeze after washout (they still have a strong pine fragrance). The colors may have faded a bit with the washing.

Washed out and ironed - these fabrics have a nice soft glow. The top piece is raw silk dyed with pine needles. The second one down is also raw silk - vinegar soaked and wrapped around pine bark. The last two were bundled together (cotton broadcloth and cheesecloth) around pine bark - soaked in alum and boiled.

This was encouraging. I do think I will try a similar approach with some other native plants that are growing near my home.

Today is my birthday! I am off to a spring picnic at daughter, Elizabeth's house.




1 comment:

Cathy in gorgeous Sonoma County said...

Happy Birthday Cynthia. Interesting idea to use the pine needlis. I may try it!