Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

String Quilt


Every spring I end up making a traditional quilt or two.
Usually, the project is inspired by some one's graduation or something.
Once you start giving a niece/nephew graduation gift quilts - you pretty much have to do it for everyone!
It is a good time to reduce the stash a bit or use up scraps. I really enjoy doing a scrap quilt now and then. This one is composed of solids and plaids that have been languishing in a drawer for at least 10 years. They are leftover from a variety of different projects, and I thought I could do a good nephew quilt with them.

A string quilt is such a good way to use up scraps. I just cut strips of various widths, then sorted them into warm/light and cool/dark piles. I had some cheap muslin in a drawer, also - so used that as a foundation - cut into 8" squares. I started by layering a light and dark strip diagonally across the center, then continuing on each side with strips from the same color group.
The setting really makes a visual statement that I appreciate.

Now to decide on the border and then get it off to the longarm quilter (I no longer quilt these projects - it is just not worth it for me!)

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Love this! Simple and striking.