Cynthia St. Charles Store

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Scrap Quilt Wedding Gift


My stepdaughter, Erin is getting married on June 12, and I wanted to be able to give a bed quilt as a gift. I enjoy making scrap quilts and this one uses 5" squares.
No doubt, I am not the first person to do something like this, but I sliced half of my 5" squares somewhere off center. Then, I added 1 1/4" strips of solid pieces in various colors - just using up what I had on hand. I did try to create contrast as far as what color of strip I used for each square.
I didn't really think it through quite as well as I maybe should have - if I'd used a narrower strip - the resulting block would still be 5" square rather than 5 1/2" x 5".
On the bright side, this made it easy to put together because there were no seams to match! I alternated the square and rectangular blocks and tried to make sure the inset strips did not line up - in order to create visual interest.
What do you think?
Since I made this quilt in late winter, I used the snow dyeing technique to dye the backing (a cotton sateen bedsheet purchased on sale at Target - I stockpile these).
I think the back is delicious, and I hate to part with it!


Anyway, it is completely finished - bound and ready to wrap!

13 comments:

elle said...

This is very cool. I like a more controled palette but this is quite striking. The back is just smashing. It'll be a special quilt.
You have some lovely scenery under that big sky!

Deanna said...

This is beautiful! I love the front, but the back is stunning! Did you unwrap the pine dyes yet? I'm anxiously waiting to see the results :)

indigocarole said...

Modern and traditional, two quilts in one. She's a lucky girl!
Carole
UK

Anonymous said...

Lucky couple
This is great - I love the variation of split blocks, and the backing is amazing.

Vicki W said...

It's a really cool quilt and that backing is AMAZING!

Shirley Goodwin said...

Cynthia, I think this looks fabulous.

Joyce said...

I wonder how they will decide which is the back and which is the front. Both are fantastic.

imquilternity said...

Gorgeous quilt! Very colorful and fun. I don't think I could part with that backing fabric - it is STUNNING!

Brenda said...

lovely, lovely, lovely. I like the alternating squares and rectangles -- much more intereting to look at.

SewBama said...

Awesome Quilt! I love the striped look. It's gorgeous.
By the way, I featured you on my blog. Check it out at sewbama.blogspot.com.

Julianne said...

Gorgeous!

Julianne said...

Gorgeous! Love scrappy quilts and really love the dye job to the backing...awesome!

Cynthia Harris said...

This is beautiful. I am looking for an easy but beautiful scrap quilt for my niece. This may just be it!