Cynthia St. Charles Store

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Satin Bed Quilt


Another scrap quilt I started as a gift, but now think I will hang onto!

This one is made of satin! Very heavy and shiny!
I never met my mother-in-law. She died before I met my husband.
She made satin pillow cases - remember how popular those were back in the 70's and 80's? Well, that is when she was making them. She gave satin pillow cases as gifts and used them on all the family pillows. I think maybe she even sold them.

I inherited her collection of rolls of satin fabric. Believe me - there is a LOT of it!
I have done a couple of satin quilts, but they are not pleasant to make.
The satin frays like crazy and the threads stick to everything - static electricity!

I used the serger to piece this quilt. It was the only way I could cope with the stuff!

Anyway. I am hanging onto it for now.
The back is hand dyed to coordinate with the front.

This is a good sized quilt - full size - I guess.

I really love the energy in this quilt!

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Another great scrap quilt - this one very artsy! Satin makes such a lush quilt - I have a friend who's father quilts using up any kind of fabric he gleans at auctions or the dump. He turned a bunch of pink and brown satin into the most beautiful log cabin quilts I'd ever seen - I told him if he wanted to leave one in his will to me, I'd gladly take it!

Deanna said...

This is a beautiful quilt... the back is equally as nice as the front.