A while back, I decided to try and use up my collection of commercial plaid and solid cottons, madras and homespuns. These fabrics have been languishing in a drawer for 5 or 6 years and I really wanted the space for something else.
I sorted all my plaids and solids into piles of warm and cool colors and cut them into random sized strips - ranging in size from 1" to 2 1/2" wide. I used a muslin foundation cut to 8" square. I started by sewing a warm and cool strip together across the diagonal. These two were pressed open and then I added more strips of the respective color family to each side until the foundation was covered. After trimming, I played around with the squares on the design wall until I was happy with the arrangement. I was able to scrounge enough remaining scraps to make the border. Yipee! I pretty much finished off that group of fabrics!
The backing was a good quality cotton sheet hand dyed to coordinate with the colors on the front of the quilt.
I made this quilt as a graduation gift for a nephew.
After it was finished - I decided I would like to keep it, and have rationalized my decision with the fact that said nephew is too tall for this one (he really would not be able to cover up with it!)
I hope you will forgive the quality of the photos! It is tough to get good light this time of year!