Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Copper in the Kitchen?


While exploring options for our kitchen renovation - I stumbled upon the idea of using copper as a finish material.
It started out with a sink. . . .I fell in love with a hammered copper kitchen sink from Mexico.
Then, while researching a backsplash for the sink - I found several suppliers of heavy copper that comes in a huge roll. This can be mounted as a backsplash - and the idea intrigued me.

So - I ordered a set of samples. ColorCopper.com offers a broad variety of beautiful finishes.
Here are images of the samples that came in the mail. All of the samples are at least 6".

By the time the copper samples arrived - I was talked out of the copper sink by several granite fabricators - who say their appearance deteriorates rapidly. In fact, our fabricator is throwing in a beautiful mocha colored Elkay E-granite undermount sink.
Who can resist a free sink? It certainly works with our budget and virtually everyone says these sinks - fabricated with 80% quartz are virtually indestructible, easy to keep clean, and beautiful.

As far as the backsplash - our fabricator is going to create a granite tile backsplash for us. . .
and these wonderful copper samples are going right down to the studio!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I love the copper! When we redid our kitchen, we used tumbled copper slate on the backsplash with pewter insets, granite counters and a kitchen table made from reclaimed copper that is hammered. I wanted a copper sink as well, but the maintenance sounds brutal... not for me :)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm not sure I would use copper as a backsplash, but as art materials, those look yummy!