Cynthia St. Charles Store

Thursday, April 28, 2011

All Alone and Blue juried into Sacred Threads 2011


I am pretty sure I have never posted this quilt on my blog before, either.
I am showing this one today because it has been juried into the Sacred Threads 2011 Show in Washington, DC. Both of my entries were accepted!

This piece was inspired by the unique style of artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. His use of color and line influenced the development of this image depicting the loneliness and isolation engulfing a person in the depths of depression. A plasticized wrapping material called Tyvek® was painted with pigments, cut into shapes and placed on top of the fabric sandwich of black cotton, and polyester batting. After details were stitched by machine with bright polyester and cotton thread, the Tyvek® was melted slightly with an iron to create texture and depth.

Previously exhibited at the Plains Art Museum Exhibit: Fiber for Thought October 25, 2007 – January 13, 2008

The size of this piece is 36 x 36 ½”


I made this in 2004, and I still really love it. It usually hangs in the hallway so I can see it daily (although all the artwork is in storage while we renovate our home).

Seeing it today, I realize I really do need to try another piece or two in this style.

P.S. Even though it is essentially about depression - I do not suffer from depression, rather - I spent many years of my career working with individuals struggling with depressive symptoms, among other things. I am very aware of the impact of this disease.

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Congratulations on both of your entries being accepted! I really love your use of Tyvek on this one... very unique!

Wen said...

Beautiful piece and yes do more, MORE!!