Progressing along on the red printed piece, I have cut all my printed fabrics into strips (above), which I plan to stitch together in pairs. I want to use my red hand dyed fabric as the border, so for audition purposes, I have just pinned it to the wall as a background, and placed my sewn strips on it as I go (below).
I also block printed some commercial black fabric with some of my favorite background blocks using red, rust, and beige paint. I like the uneven edges - the way the strips do not line up at the top and botton and I think I want to work with that. I am undecided about how to actually do the lining up - not sure whether it is better to keep the centers somewhat adjacent to each other - or to stagger them for more visual interest. ..... I've arranged them both ways and like them both ways.
Working along these lines, I went ahead and added red fabrics to the ends of each strip (above). I have inserted a few more of the dark accent strips here and there, too.
I am not yet ready to sew it together. I think I need to work on the arrangement a bit more first, but I am happy with the progress, as well as the size - which is BIG - probably 8' wide!