Cynthia St. Charles Store

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rust Dyed Placemats


I have been procrastinating about this project for quite a while, but it was really starting to bother me - not having a way to set a nice table that looks like it belongs in my lovely redecorated kitchen and dining room. Besides, the blue and yellow placemats I have been using for the past 15 years are starting to show wear on the binding (I am really amazed by the way they have lasted - they are washed at least once a week!)
I wanted to use up some of my scraps, and wanted to limit myself to using only scraps of fabric that I have dyed or painted or discharged. I wanted to use rust dyed fabric, because that is what I used to make the valance in the kitchen. I wanted to mix in some black because my new china is black. After sorting through the scrap bin, I discovered I did not really have a lot of small scraps of my own hand dyed, printed, discharged fabrics. I started sewing strips together, anyway, and then cut them down to a 3 1/2 inch width and kept sewing, making a long strip. This was pieced into the larger pieces of rust dyed fabric.


Here is the table runner (Above) before quilting.


The quilting was a bit of a dilemma. I knew I would have to use the walking foot and not free motion, because I always have a big problem with thread breakage doing free motion with rust dyed fabrics. I am usually pretty successful with the walking foot on rust dyed fabric, though, so that was the plan. I just opted for doing a variety of channel quilting styles. I knew I should keep it simple and as open as possible so that the texture of the rust dyed fabrics is not overwhelmed. I wanted to use black thread because my dishes are black. I didn't measure or mark for the quilting - just started stitching and I got some kind of wonky results. I don't mind this and by the time they are finished and the table is set, I am hoping they will look funky and contemporary.I have two more placemats and a table runner to finish the quilting on - then I will bind them with solid black - which will look striking with my black dishes, I think.

2 comments:

MarveLes Art Studios said...

These look great! I've always admired your rusty outlooks on fabric!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wonderful! The colored fabric looks like it is inlaid in the rust fabric. Hope you post a picture when the table is set!