Cynthia St. Charles Store

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Fusing the Binding

I applied fusible web to the back of my binding fabric, then I cut it into strips about 1 1/4 " wide.
I used scissors to achieve slight irregularity on the edges, which I felt would compliment the rustic nature of this piece.


I then cut my binding into smaller pieces - varying from 4" to 7" long. I laid my trimmed quilt on my Teflon covered pressing table. The binding sections were placed along the edge and fused into place with the iron.

After I had the binding pressed in place all the way around the front, I turned it over and folded the binding over the edge, fusing it to the back using the iron.

This created a very nice firm binding, giving my quilt a nice firmness I have never achieved before!
Here's how it looked on the back (before stitching)
And this is the front of the fused binding, prior to stitching.

4 comments:

Joan said...

I have really enjoyed watching the evolution of this quilt and your process for creating it. Thanks so much for sharing!

Rachel Parris said...

Teflon coveting on your table...what is the product.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Great idea, fused binding! I never would have thought of that! And I like that you didn't 'square it up', but left the shape irregular. Can't wait to see the final shot when you have the stitching done! Oh, I notice that you didn't use a damp pressing cloth when you fused... are you using wonder under, or another kind of fusibile interfacing?

Cynthia St Charles said...

Judy, I use Misty Fuse.