Cynthia St. Charles Store

Friday, March 16, 2012

Fused Binding Tutorial

To create a fused binding, I attach Mistyfuse to the back of the binding fabric.
Then, I cut it into strips 1 1/4" wide. I start by fusing the binding strip to the front of the quilt - corners first, one corner at a time. When it is cool, I insert a straight pin at the exact corner of the quilt (this is so the miter will be formed correctly)

I then fold the binding diagonally at the pin to the back. Before fusing, I fold it down to make sure the miter will be correct. Adjust accordingly.
I flip the quilt over, fold and fuse the folded binding to the backing.
Here is a fused miter from the back of the quilt.
This particular binding is hand dyed fabric, and it has not been block printed to match the block printed front (yet). I will show that process in tomorrow's post.

1 comment:

Dahn said...

Thanks for showing again how you do this fused binding. I loath hand sewing binding on anything, and have started to use this technique for my wall hangings. This miter technique is one I will try.

Thanks for sharing it!