Here is the final version of this piece. I did a border of block printing and then wrapped it around a stretcher bars in a 20 x 16" horizontal format. I decided I could use the other piece of deconstructed fabric (under audition for the background / border) to make another piece in the series. I am satisfied with this one (although I don't think I will do the block printing on the edge again - not overly crazy about that) and now am encouraged to think I could use my deconstructed prints in this same way to build a series. One of my goals for the year is to work in series!
Here's something I recently started doing with my work in order to evaluate whether or not it is successful - change the photo to grayscale in Photoshop. If I see good contrast - darks, lights, and medium values - and there is balance - I feel it is successful.