Cynthia St. Charles Store

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Winter Walk #1

Here is the piece after I have colored in the white areas on the border deconstructed screen print.  I tweeked things a bit before the final fusing.  I realized the border was a little wonky, so I fixed that.  I gave up on the floating blocks and went with just adding fused screen printed cheesecloth and silk organza.  

After I finished this composition and stepped back to look at it - I realized it evoked winter on the open range in Montana.  I have long wanted to do a piece expressing the stark beauty of the winter grasses and bare branches that grace the landscape.  I have always enjoyed the very subtle color variation among the various types of native grasses in the winter.  I feel this piece successfully expresses that - and furthermore - it is a fitting outlet for my angst as I transition from summer activities into winter studio time.  The development of this (winter in Montana) composition was somewhat unconscious - I had something very different in mind as I began working on this piece.  I am really happy with the way it has turned out!

2 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Your work is very beautiful. Your colors are mine as well. So natural and serene.

Cäcilia said...

Wow! Looks fabulous! I can really see the frozen landscape.