Cynthia St. Charles Store

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Block Printed Fabric

Desert Colors

This cotton fabric was dyed with black walnuts several years ago and was languishing in a drawer. I was looking for backgrounds for block printing and decided I would probably never use this dull beige fabric for anything else.

I originally planned to use neutral shades - more browns and beige's, but as I was mixing colors on the palate, I decided to go with the pastel shades of the desert and beach in Sonora, Mexico at dusk or dawn. I love the way the colors look with the background, which reminds me of the color of the sand in Sonora, Mexico, where we vacationed in February.

I am really pleased with this piece so far. I had planned on using it for a background for some screen printing, but now I am pausing to reconsider. I really love the muted colors and textures of this piece.

I'd hate to spoil it!

6 comments:

Candied Fabrics said...

Ooh! This one is lovely!

Cate Rose said...

These are SO beautiful, Cynthia. I love how you've juxtaposed three or four blocks together to create an allover design. Simply wonderful!

Judy Rys said...

I generally like saturated colors; but this desert palette is beautiful. It's a keeper!

Vicki W said...

That is fantastic!

Shirley Goodwin said...

cynthia, your block prints are gorgeous as they are.

Judy Alexander said...

Love all of these. Can't wait to see what you do with them.