Cynthia St. Charles Store

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Travel Log Tuesday - Lava Beds National Monument

Last July, we visited Lava Beds National Monument in Northern California.
I didn't get any of my pictures from that trip posted on my blog, so I will share them over the next few Tuesdays.
Over the last half-million years, volcanic eruptions on the Medicine Lake shield volcano have created a rugged landscape dotted with diverse volcanic features. More than 700 lava tube caves were formed when a lava flows hardened on the outside, forming a crust, while the molten lava continued to flow through the tube.
The landscape is quite open, the lava tube cave entrances are scattered all around the area. It is possible to explore the caves on your own and we went into several of the caves.

I'll post more about Lava Beds National Monument next Tuesday.

No comments: