I have achieved one of my summer goals! Making paper!
Above, you can see some of the paper I made in this first batch.
I've been saving paper all winter. This spring, I ran it all through the shredder and stuffed it in this bag in anticipation that I would find a way to make my own paper this summer when I could work outside. I put about half my shreds into this large plastic box and covered it with warm water to soften it.
I picked up this set of adjustable window screens from Lowes. I think they measure 15 x 18". I wanted to make large sheets of paper!
Here is my set-up. Two banquet tables. A shallow slurry tub. The dedicated blender. We had just replaced two sliding door screens, so I had those to work with, also.
I floated the screens until I was happy with the consistency of the layer of slurry on them, then I let them drip a bit.
The drying took a while, but otherwise, this was not nearly as time consuming as I thought it might be. A few hours hands on- maybe less.
I am delighted with my results! I am looking forward to working with my handmade paper when the cold weather arrives. I'll just put it away for now.